DeSiPokemon.com

DeSiPokemon Gallery   DeSiPokemon Doodle   IRC Chat    DP Mail
Download Daily Pokemon Diamond and Pearl episodes from DeSiPokemon.com
Celebrating 15 Years of DeSiPokemon!

Simple Question And Answer Thread.

Moderator: DP Super Mods

• Advertisement
Play-Asia.com - Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions!

Simple Question And Answer Thread.

Postby Cierra » June 9th, 2009, 3:33 pm

This thread is basically for simple question like title says, which dont warrant their own thread. Questions like "How does this attack work?" and "What are Ivs/Evs?" belong here.
Cierra
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pokies: 37.67

Advertisement

Re: Simple Question And Answer Thread.

Postby Maxedge » June 9th, 2009, 3:37 pm

What are Ivs/Evs?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously I wanna know

Maxedge
Spambot Assassinator
Spambot Assassinator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pokies: 51.10

Postby Cierra » June 9th, 2009, 6:03 pm

EV Training Guide

What are EVs?

"EV" stands for Effort Values. EV Training is a special type of training that can increase your Pokémon's strength by far! An EV trained pokémon is sure to be stronger than a non-EVed Pokémon. A Pokémon can gain the maximum of 510 EV points to split between the stats of HP, Speed, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Each individual stat can have the maximum capacity of 255 EV Points.

How do I get EV Points?

When you are in In-Game, battling specific Pokémon will give you some EVs in a certain stat. A Pokémon only gains EVs if it can gain Experience Points. Whenever it gains Experience Points, the user gets EV Points. That means that if you run away, faint, or catch the opponent - you WILL NOT get EVs.

Each Pokémon provides different EV Points when they're defeated. They give a different number of EV Points as well as EVs in different stats.

How exactly does EV training help?

Like I said before, EV training can boost your Pokémon's strength significantly! So how does it boost your strength? Well, for each 4 Points you get while EV training, you get 1 extra Point in your stats. For instance: Starly provides 1 EV Point in Speed, so if you battle 4 Starlys, then your Speed stat will get one extra point. So that means if you max out your Speed EVs, then you will gain 63 extra Speed points. That means that a maxed EVed Speed stat will have 63 more points than the non-EVed pokémon!!!

I'm EV training, but my stats don't seem to change! What am I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong. The results of EV training usually don’t show up until your pokémon are at a later level. But not to worry, your EV work will be 100% shown.
Which you all know

Tips for EV Training ...

Well, there are some guidelines you should follow. Remember how you need 4 EVs to raise a stat? Well, 255 is not divisible by 4. So that means some of the EVs have no use! That’s correct. You should only get the maximum of 252 EVs in a stat. Be sure that the number of EV points you give to a stat is ALWAYS divisible by 4.

As you probably have noticed, EV training does take a long time. It requires patience and dedication in making a strong pokémon. So here's a tip: write your EV points down! Keep track of the EV points you've gained on a piece of paper - as I doubt you will be able to keep track of 252 EV Points all in your head!

Is there any way to speed up EV Training?

You're in luck: there is! Hold items can boost the amount of EVs a pokémon gains. Here are a list of items that increase EVs.

Stat Boosters - If you feed a Pokémon an item like Protein or Calcium gives you 10 EV points in the stat it raises.

HP Up --- Hit Points
Protein --- Attack
Iron --- Defense
Carbos --- Speed
Calcium --- Sp. Attack
Zinc --- Sp. Defense

Macho Brace - Macho Brace will half your speed when it is held, but whenever you EV train, it doubles your EVs gained. For instance, Starly gives 1 Speed EV Point when it is defeated. So when a pokémon holding a Macho Brace defeats a Starly, it gains not one - but 2 EV points in their stat!

Power Items - Items like Power Anklet and Power Bracer will increase the EVs Gained by +4 EVs Points. So that means if a Pokémon holding a Power Anklet (Speed) defeats a Starly(1 Speed EV), it actually gets 5 EV Points in Speed instead of 1.

-Power Anklet --- boosts Speed EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give speed EVs, the Power Anklet gives +4 in speed. For example, if you defeat a Starly you'll get 5 EVs in speed, one for initially defeating the Starly and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Anklet

-Power Bracer --- boosts Attack EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give attack EVs the Power Bracer gives +4 in attack. For example, if you defeat a Machop you'll get 5 EVs in attack, one for initially defeating the Machop and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Bracer

-Power Weight --- boosts HP EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give HP EVs, the Power Weight gives +4 in HP. For example, if you defeat a Bidoof you'll get 5 EVs in HP, one for initially defeating the Bidoof and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Weight.

-Power Belt --- boosts Defense EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give Defense EVs, the Power Belt gives +4 in Defense. For example, if you defeat a Geodude you'll get 5 EVs in Defense, one for initially defeating the Geodude and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Belt.

-Power Lens --- boosts Sp. Attack EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give Sp. Attack EVs, the Power Lens gives +4 in Sp. Attack. For example, if you defeat a Ghastly you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Attack, one for initially defeating the Ghastly and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Lens.

Power Band --- boosts Sp. Defense EV training. When defeating Pokémon who give Sp. Defense EVs, the Power Band gives +4 in Sp. Defense. For example, if you defeat a Tentacool you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Defense, one for initially defeating the Tentacool and four because your Pokémon is holding the Power Band.

Pokérus(PKRS) - Pokérus is NOT an item. It is a very rare disease obtained by battling a pokémon. The disease is even harder to obtain than a shiny pokémon! So if you get it, YOU ARE VERY LUCKY. This disease acts like the Macho Brace without the Speed halving. It doubles the EVs gained but the pokémon can still hold an item.

EV DISTRIBUTION …

You are able to choose the EVs you give a Pokémon. So I should I distribute them properly? Well, first you determine what the role of a Pokémon is. Then you are able to determine the EV Distribution. Here are some guidelines :

- A Sweeper Pokémon will have usually 252 EVs in the Speed. There are some exceptions, such as if a Pokémon holds the Choice Scarf item. (e.g. Weavile has 252 EVs in Speed.)

- A Sweeper Pokémon will have a maxed out stat in Attack OR Special Attack 70% of the time. Ignore this rule if the pokémon you are using is able to defend or is a mixed sweeper (a sweeper with both physical and special moves). (e.g. Rampardos has 252 EVs in Attack)

- A walling pokémon will usually carry a maxed out HP stat. (e.g. Milotic carries 252 HP EVs.)

- A walling pokémon usually carries 252 EVs in their Defense or Special Defense stat. (e.g. Blissey runs 252 Defense EVs).

IV – Individual Value

What are IVs?

IVs or Individual Values are decided upon capture or when you receive an egg and it can’t be trained. They range from 0 to 31 and are applied to every stat. Meaning; every stat has a value between 0 and 31. The higher the IV, the higher the stat. Every IV counts for 1 stat point on lvl 100 when the nature of a Pokémon is neutral. This varies if the nature is beneficial or hindering.

Example:
Seemingly the same Tyranitar at lvl 100. They both have Adamant nature and 252 EVs in Attack. This is how they look:
Tyranitar 1 with 0 Attack IV: 369
Tyranitar 2 with 31 Attack IV: 403

As you can see, quite the difference.

In terms of training, IVs are the hardest to control (barely any, if no, trainer influence). This means that even if you have the right nature and EVs, it can still be you won’t have the desired Pokémon. Thank IVs for that.

If you want more accurate calculations (to decide your newly hatched Pokémon’s IVs, there are two things you can do:

1. Fight with it on an online match at lvl 100. This way, the Pokémon will be temporarily be elevated to lvl 100, where you can accurately read his stats and decide the IVs.
2. Level it up with Rare Candies. i.e.: Save, Level-up, Read stats, Reset. This way you won’t lose any of your Rare Candies while you can still decide your Pokémon’s stats and IVs. An easy way of obtaining Rare Candies:
1. Pick-Up ability at high levels.
2. Emerald Cloning or D/P Cloning (potentionally dangerous)
3. Hacking
4. Trading them over WiFi

And that’s IVs for you.

Characteristics

Ever seen the phrases on a Pokémon’s stat page (“Often Scatters things”, “Likes to thrash about”, etc.). Well, those indicate a Pokémon’s highest IV. What phrase it is, is dependant on what the IV can be.

Note that they only indicate the HIGHEST IV. They will not tell you anything about all the others.
Also if 2 IVs are identical and both are the highest (eg: Speed and Attack both 30), it will randomly select one of the phrases of those IVs. So a Pokémon with max Speed and Attack can have either “Likes to trash about” or “Alert to sounds” as a phrase, provided no other stat has equally high IVs.
Cierra
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Maxedge » June 15th, 2009, 11:46 am

:roll: :roll: Got it

Maxedge
Spambot Assassinator
Spambot Assassinator

Postby Cierra » June 15th, 2009, 12:28 pm

What still a problem..?

There's no simpler way. :(
Cierra
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Prongs » June 30th, 2009, 11:01 am

lol.
Just in case Cierra .
Copy pasting data from Bulbapedia , serebii and legendary pokemon is not allowed specially on a Internet forums .
I suggest you use your own brain and ideas and remove all the data you have taken from there .
(And no use lying to me :twisted: )

Also once Wikia Pokemon Wiki tried it and got in serious trouble .
We are not going to hope that for Nish .
Do You Want To Be The Ultimate Pokemon Master?

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Pokies: 2,607.74

Postby Maxedge » July 6th, 2009, 11:14 am

@Cierra
I mean I really got it!!
@Prongs
Why would NiSh get into trouble??
Cierra is posting it :roll: :roll:

Maxedge
Spambot Assassinator
Spambot Assassinator

Postby Prongs » July 11th, 2009, 11:42 am

Because it is Nish's site and Cierra is Nish's site's mod.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Cierra » July 14th, 2009, 3:43 pm

That's not from any of that. I have got brains -_- after being on net for such a long time, why would i copy paste something from any of that. only The EV chart was taken and also that with the permission of Serebii's Mod. I don't know why you try to always thwart me down. Just because i hate Ash, doesn't mean you always run around and try to do thi s to me, and i also clearly remember Personally apolgising to you Via P.M. If you have such a ego for not even forgiving me go ahead be mad.
Cierra
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DP-NiSh » July 14th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Prongs wrote:Because it is Nish's site and Cierra is Nish's site's mod.

True, but this is a forums so we can't really moderate all the content that is posted here, unlike Wiki. Also true that since a moderator is posting it, it's the site's responsibility.

Well just make sure you give credit to the site, Cierra, and always to use a free image hosting provider if you are directly linking to an image on such sites.

I don't see this as a big issue really otherwise.
.:.DP-NiSh.:.
Admin/Webmaster,
DeSiPokemon.com
DP-NiSh
Webmaster
Webmaster

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pokies: 27,522.55
Friend Code 176288381960

Postby Prongs » July 15th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Cierra wrote:That's not from any of that. I have got brains -_- after being on net for such a long time, why would i copy paste something from any of that. only The EV chart was taken and also that with the permission of Serebii's Mod. I don't know why you try to always thwart me down. Just because i hate Ash, doesn't mean you always run around and try to do thi s to me, and i also clearly remember Personally apolgising to you Via P.M. If you have such a ego for not even forgiving me go ahead be mad.

Oh my I don't even ....

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Maxedge » July 18th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Calm down guys.....Have fun with each of the teasers....Earlier I also used to feel like u Cierra when u kept on locking the topics, but later I thought better to make fun of these things and although I cud stop but I thought it was better to have fun now!!
Moreover we are friends remember?? So chill out and forget your quarrels....Now shake your hands :wink:

Maxedge
Spambot Assassinator
Spambot Assassinator

Postby Cierra » July 18th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Locking topics wasn't a big deal since you posted unnecessarily, reviving topics are not permitted in forum rules even if Nish allow's it sometimes.
Cierra
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kawaii-Abhi » July 18th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Wowowowow Now lemme ask a lame question... How exactly do the 4th generation Supa Contests work?
(too lazy to read and understand bulba =P )
BIDOOF PLAGUE!!!
[smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif] [smilie=dpa399.gif]
[smilie=dpa493.gif] ←"Oh noes!"
Kawaii-Abhi
League Champion
League Champion

Pokies: 219.38

Postby kaijudo » November 15th, 2009, 11:02 am

Well the contest is divided into 3 sections, in the first one you have to drag on accesories and try to fit the title they gave you like THE NATURAL! The 2nd part of the contest is dancing and you have to time when you move to the left or whatever corresponding to what the other pokemon did. In the 3rd part, acting, works like in r/s/e. Choose a move, appeal, confuse other pokemon, destiny bond and finish it off etc.

Now I have a question that needs answering. An ev boosting item like protein gives you 10+ attk evs. The max evs you can have on a single stat is like 252. But I gave a pokemon, a larvitar (first Ev trained pokemon), protein and by the 9th one it said "It wont have any effect". So, why? And the Larvitar was at Lv1, does that make any difference?
....DONT DO IT! THE CAKE IS A LIE!
Thanks to Keshavkd........YAY
Awesomeness....
kaijudo
Pokémon Master
Pokémon Master

Pokies: 356.55

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Competitive Battling, Strategies & Team ratings