DeSiPokemon.com

DeSiPokemon Gallery   DeSiPokemon Doodle   IRC Chat    DP Mail
Download Daily Pokemon Diamond and Pearl episodes from DeSiPokemon.com
Celebrating 15 Years of DeSiPokemon!

DeSiPokémon's The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games of all time!

Moderator: DP Super Mods

• Advertisement
Play-Asia.com - Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions!

DeSiPokémon's The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games of all time!

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 4:32 pm

You thought we just died? Well we are disappointed in the lack of faith in you, and as a punishment you are all demoted to Newbie trainers.

But anyway, we forum members are still alive and working to bring you something new. With the era of the DS almost over and most of the bigger upcoming games announced we decided that 'all times' is perfectly definable now. And so we, well we will tell you who 'we' are later, sat down and made this:

The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games of All Time!

The Editors

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Granted power of Veto, can add or kill a game from the list.
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: Granted power of Veto, can add or kill a game from the list.
[smilie=dpa258.gif] DP-NiSh: Is the ruler of DesiPokémon. Power of Veto.

Kawaii-Abhi: Almost every game he suggested made it into the list. Except Contra 4.
Cierra: He knows his stuff and has played almost every game for the DS. Experience matters.
Mantis-lover
Nem

What does the list comprise?
Every awesome game of all times dude. All times can be defined as past, present and future. We had Prongs specifically glance into the future to check that we didn't miss anything.

And without further ado:

Number 25: Animal Crossing: Wild World
Because it is Shigeru and friends, only friends are animals.

Animal Crossing: Wild World, is the follow-up to Animal Crossing for the Nintendo GameCube. It leads to the Wii version, Animal Crossing: City Folk.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: One of the first games I played on the DS. If you are an Animal Crossing fan, this game is a miraculous return. And if you are not, it is a nice entrance into the series. Fun, innovative and kawaii (cute). I will give it a 8.2.
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: AC:WW is a vivid, colorful experience and redefined non-ported 3D graphics and Nintendo WFC multiplayer on the DS. While not quite the same experience as the Gamecube or Wii members of the series, Wild World is a delightful game that people fond of Nintendo's first-party franchises should give a try.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.5 out of 10.
Verdict: Good.
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Do You Want To Be The Ultimate Pokemon Master?

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pokies: 2,607.74

Advertisement

Re: Desipokemon's The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games of all times!

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 4:43 pm

Number 24: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Because it teaches us that good boxarts are not always needed.

Strange Journey features dungeon crawl, first-person environments for the player to explore. Demons, the enemies encounted by the player, can be negotiated with, a staple in the Megami Tensei series, to join the protagonist's party, aiding him in combat.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Dude, that thing is alive! Although I was never a dungeon crawler fanboy, this game adds all the usual RPG elements to it. You know what this means? Another 8.2!

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.5 out of 10
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Number 23: Bowser's inside Story
Because he is yellow. Yes he is a villain, but he is yellow.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, is the third game in the Mario & Luigi series, following Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. The game gives us a unique battle system while carrying the RPG elements of its predecessors.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Bowser. If a list of top 100 villains of all times is made this guy will be on top. After Magikarp perhaps but still among the top. And it was his story we craved to hear. Nintendo knew that. And so here it is, a story where the villain is the hero (or is it?). A perfect end to the trilogy. A 8.5 from me!

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.5 out of 10

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Number 22: Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Dude, one boss is a Ditto, beat that.

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs is the third in the Pokemon Ranger series. Yes you are right the one in which you make those loops around wild Pokemon to 'friend' (No Facebook pun please.) them. Yes it made it. Don't ask why until you have played it kiddo.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Now now, before you start 'LOL'ing at our choice please keep in mind that I veto'd out the other two games of the series. This game has it all. Pokémon, Gadgets, Nature, Levels and for once a story. You are still 'LOL'ing? Well you haven't played it because 1) You don't know Japanese. 2) You don't have a DS. In either case. You need to play this. I give it a 8.9!
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: This game shouldn't be taken lightly by the fandom simply because of the Ranger in the title, for this is certainly no bedtime story glorifying sustainable development. Tracks of Light inherits the better-than-main-series graphics and engine of it's predecessors, but the games have come a long way from drawing loops around Pokémon - be prepared to witness PokéAssists that actually involve your Pokémon attacking foes, and not powering up your styler, and the novel idea of Guardian Signs to summon Pokémon that help you through your journey - the main series, which still relies on HMs might have a few things to learn from this, which actually makes mundane tasks like navigating through Oblivia a rather interesting affair, and not a chore. The environments are engaging and a few of the Boss battles genuinely tough, and the multiplayer functionality promises to challenge even Veteran Rangers. Tracks of Light is certainly not something to sneeze at.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.7 out of 10
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Number 21: Tetris DS
What made Gameboy, Gameboy? No, it was not Mario.

Tetris, the ultimate game for any handheld. If there is one guy who owns a mobile/Video Game handheld and he hasn't played Tetris, he doesn't exist. Period. The new game brings us all the old elements plus many news games, like what is that bomb creation game where we make a 4 to 4 grid bomb? Well we won't spoil it for you but if you haven't played this already, you are not very smart.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: People, show Tetris some respect. It is the God of handhelds. We all play Tetris. It is the third highest selling games series. And it does that without a single character. You want more? Tetris is the scale by which portability is measured. People, I give you Tetris DS! (Oh and btw, there is a small guy you call 'Link' dancing on the right bar. Win.) Well I give it a 9!
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: Take a few crystals of tetrominoes in a clean Test Tube. Add 0.5cc each of Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi's Cookie. Heat the mixture gently in a water bath in the presence of an 802.11g network with access to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, till it decrepitates. Cool the test tube under a tap to obtain crystals of Tetris DS.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.7 out of 10
Verdict: Good. But it is Tetris.
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Number 20: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
We will kill for that surname. Apparently people do.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is an adventure/puzzle game. The player controls the movements of the eponymous Professor Layton and his young assistant Luke through several locations, unlike in the previous game which is confined to just one town. Along with completing many different types of puzzles, players must explore different areas, solve mysteries, and aid the Professor on his quest.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: People, this is Professor Layton. And there is little Luke. And well thats all it takes to err... solve every ruddy mystery in the whole world?! This game I didn't play with much interest so I don't have right to rate it. But heh, it is here for a reason.
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: The game has a "darker", if you will, story and a more satisfying conclusion, however to speak of the story would simply be beating around the bush, for it is puzzles that make the Layton series what it is. The puzzles are hard to get tired of, and the experience hardly seems repetitive. The graphics are also amazing for a game that doesn't even attempt to invade pseudo-3D territory, and the FMVs are top-notch and delightful to watch. Diabolical Box is a must-play for every person who loves brain-teasers, and at least worth a try for the few who don't.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.8 out of 10
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Number 19: Final Fantasy III & IV
Because you must remember that Nintendo started it all.

Final Fantasy IV retains the original Active Time Battle System from the initial Super Nintendo release. Similar to the previous remake of Final Fantasy III on the Nintendo DS, the control of stylus is limited and optional in order to retain the same control input while allowing other players to use the Nintendo DS's unique touch control scheme.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: One of the best RPG I have ever played in my life was Final Fantasy IV. When I realised that there are remakes coming, that too for the Nintendo DS, I was overjoyed. And when I am overjoyed, it takes something to keep me overjoyed. Luckily, Nintendo knows that. The graphics are so rich and the gameplay so enjoyable that I would happily swap these games with the legendary status of the originals. (Especially III) These games at the time of release were among the few DS RPG to have graphics worth bragging about. Also, the opening sequence can kill you.
[smilie=dpa025.gif] Petey: I'm not too fond the pixellated 3D that these games use, but nonetheless they are faithful yet largely graphically overhauled members of the Final Fantasy franchise that old-school FFers should not miss out on, especially those who long for the return of the medieval world to the newest iterations of the franchise. Those who started off with FF7 will have surprisingly little of interest, while those who enjoy these games ought to look forward to the tailor-made Warriors of Light out later this year.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.9 out of 10
Verdict: Very Good.
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Number 18: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Thieves are awesome. So are we.

Chinatown Wars has a different presentation from previous games in the series. Instead of a ground-level view behind the protagonist or a top-down perspective, Chinatown Wars uses a fully rotatable camera angled down at the action. Chinatown Wars also uses cel-shaded polygons with black outlines to produce a comic book-like aesthetic — a first for the series. The title takes place in the Grand Theft Auto IV rendition of Liberty City, with the exception of Alderney.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: I hate GTA with a passion. Despite that, it made it to this list. Why? Because it is different.
[smilie=dpa258.gif] DP-NiSh: I don't think it has much to do with the other GTA games due to the perspective you play it from. Chinatown Wars looks different from other members of the series.

DeSiPokémon Score:
8.9 out of 10
Verdict: Very Good.
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 9:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Number 17: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Lets forget that it is pink, shall we?

Unlike most previous Kirby games, the player does not directly control Kirby with a directional pad, face buttons, or shoulder buttons. Instead, the player only uses the stylus and touch screen to control Kirby. The player can draw rainbow lines, which Kirby will roll on, or poke Kirby, to make him do a little speed dash.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Awesome game. And for once, something new. Only there is no getting over the fact that it is pink. (*RUNS*)
[smilie=dpa258.gif] Mewtwo: I am the webbie. Veto'd into the list.

DeSiPokémon Score:
9 out of 10
Verdict: Something new.
Last edited by Prongs on August 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » August 4th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Number 16: Nintendogs
If they were cats, they would be numero uno!

Shigeru's DS masterpieces. The Nintendogs, a family of dogs ready to lick you red. Is that even possible you ask? Oh yes it is! Using the touchscreen, the owner can play with, train, pet, walk, brush, and wash a virtual dog. With the microphone that is built into the DS, the player can create voice commands which the puppy will understand and, if properly trained, follow. Dogs can be walked to the park where they can practice their disc catching skills, and to the gymnasium to practice dog agility.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: These are not the best-sellers for nothing. If you start playing it, I doubt that you will stop for many hours. This is one of the most innovative games by Miyamoto-sama. Besides, they are adorable.

DeSiPokémon Score:
9 out of 10
Verdict: Kawaii!.
Last edited by Prongs on August 8th, 2010, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Re: DeSiPokémon's The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games of all time!

Postby Prongs » August 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Number 15: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
TAKE THAT! (Come on guys, I had to do this.)

HOLD IT! No introduction for this, you gotta play the game.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: OBJECTION! I object to any earthly praise for this game. *hands over mic to Petey* this game seriously gave me a throat ache (Whatever in the whole world it is.)

DeSiPokémon Score:
9.1 out of 10
Verdict: OBJECTION! No earthly verdict for this one.
Last edited by Prongs on September 4th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Hiwatari » August 23rd, 2010, 9:01 pm

only till 15 ??
Hiwatari
Pokémon Professor
Pokémon Professor

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pokies: 479.17

Postby Prongs » September 4th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Number 14: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
And the princ... pirate is in trouble again!

Phantom Hourglass wasn't all about the cel-shaded look of the Wind Waker. It also employed a distinctive touch screen interface that saw Link being directed with stylus swipes and taps, as opposed to the traditional D-Pad control that players of past portable Zelda games might have expected. This decision to go all-touch turned out to be almost as controversial as the graphics style of Wind Waker, lending further proof to the theory that Zelda fans are just never satisfied. (In truth, it's probably because Zelda fans are just used to an exceptional level of excellence in each sequel in the series.)

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: I played Phantom Hourglass before the Wind Waker, forced to play due to constant bugging from two other editors of this list. My reason was simple, the Ocarina of Time look is Zelda, the Wind Waker look is not. Shows that the best of us can be proved wrong as well. Innovation is the core of this whole game. If you never have played a Zelda game, this game is very different from the usual Shigeru breed. You are a boy, a highly mature one at that, who has been given various tools ranging from swords to bows with only one rule, move forward. You will have to kill beasts, solve puzzles, and even captain a certain ship. This is one heck of a voyage!

DeSiPokémon Score:
9.5 out of 10
Verdict: Excellent.
Last edited by Prongs on September 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » September 4th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Number 13: Picross 3D
<enter humorous one-liner in 3D here>

While Picross presents a rectangular grid of squares, which must be filled in to create a picture, Picross 3D uses a rectangular prism made of a number of smaller cubes, and must be chipped away in order to construct an image in three dimensions. Each row or column has at most one number corresponding to it, and many do not have any numbers at all; the number indicates how many cubes the row/column should contain when the picture is complete. If a number has a circle around it, it means that, while that number of cubes is the total amount in the row/column, they will be split up into two groups (for example, a 4 with a circle around it will be in two groups of either 1 and 3 or 2 and 2). If a number has a square around it, the cubes will be split up into three or more groups. If there are no numbers on a row or column, there are no rules concerning how many cubes belong there.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Picross 3D takes Picross to another level. It tells us what exactly is the difference between cutting shapes out of a piece of paper and between chiseling a statue out of a slab of stone. Luckily Picross 3D doesn't give a sense of Deja-vu in its levels as well. But of course, it wouldn't have made it here without some serious fun in it.

DeSiPokémon Score:
9.3 out of 10
Verdict: Innovative.
Last edited by Prongs on September 4th, 2010, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Postby Prongs » September 4th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Number 12: Pokémon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum
They tested the waters...

Pokémon has proven its longevity over the course of a full decade in America now, and emphatically re-asserted its dominance as a force for driving hardware and software sales, when the fourth generation of the core RPG games arrived for Nintendo DS. Following the well-established formula for the series, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl appeared and presented the same basic ideas as before -- you're an aspiring young trainer setting out on travels through a world full of monsters, you're dreaming of being the best, and you've gotta catch 'em all. It worked in '98, and it's still working today.

[smilie=dpa448.gif] Prongs: Some people called it childish. Some people looked at Pokémon when it first came to India, sized it up, and declared it to be a temporary phenomenon. Destined to be swept out of popularity before long, and left there, long forgotten.
Some people said that.
Those people were wrong.
Which is the best selling franchise after Mario? Pokémon. Which is arguably the largest online community in the world? Pokémon. Yet, with such high expectations and such wild brained fans, GameFreak does it again. And again. And again...

DeSiPokémon Score:
9.4 out of 10
Verdict: Back to basics.
Last edited by Prongs on September 4th, 2010, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prongs
An EVIL Wandering Spirit
An EVIL Wandering Spirit

Next

• Advertisement

Return to DS/DSi